Determining when to fix and when to replace your retaining wall can be difficult. Oftentimes, homeowners might find themselves leaning towards fixing the wall. This is because they usually think it will be cheaper or less time-consuming than a complete redo. However, this is not always the case. Sometimes, it is actually cheaper to replace your existing wall than to repair it. In the long run, the cost of re-doing the wall is usually more budget-friendly than making the same fix over and over again. If you aren’t sure if it’s time to replace or fix your retaining wall continue reading this article. Below, our experts at the retaining wall company in Kelowna will be giving you some insights into what you should do with your retaining wall.
To Fix or To Replace?
As a good rule of thumb, you should fix your retaining wall only when the following conditions are true:
- Fixing the wall is more cost-effective than replacing the wall
- The wall has enough structural integrity to withstand the necessary repairs.
- There are no objects in the way of making the proper repairs (Ie: trees, boulders, fences, etc)
- The retaining wall is in generally good condition, with a solid foundation
However, if your retaining wall lacks these qualities, it might be a sign that it’s time to start from scratch. Some signs that you should rebuild your retaining wall include:
- The wall leans forward or has a bowed look
- The foundation has been compromised in some way
- There is a lack of drainage
- There are multiple cracks, loose rocks, and gaps in the wall
- The wall is no longer serving its intended purpose to reinforce the natural landscape
Before you make any decisions about what to do with your retaining wall, get in touch with a professional. At Fuller’s, we’d be happy to help you assess your retaining wall and determine what the best course of action is. For more information about fixing vs. replacing retaining walls, contact us today. Our team of expert landscapers and block wall specialists are certain to get the job done right! For more information about the services of our retaining wall company in Kelowna, feel free to reach out. Be sure to check out our social media for progress photos and past projects we’ve completed. We look forward to working with you in the near future!